News:

JJMehta Whatsapp wa.me/919833771200

Main Menu

Film And Digital

Started by Mallik, December 16, 2021, 12:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallik

Managed to capture a mountainscape in both digital and medium format film. B&W pics are shot using Bronica SQ-AI with Ilford HP5+ film and the others were captured with Fuji X100F with 28mm converter.

Cheers,
Mallik

thereisnobeginning

Lovely shots. TFS.
Apart from the obvious difference in field of view, there seems to be a larger amount of grain in the images taken using film. Is this an artifact of processing/scanning the film? Also was wondering how would the digital images compare to the film if they were also converted to monochrome. Just curious.
Regards,
thereisnobeginning

ISO

Huge dynamic range of film. Love it.

TFS

hvyas

Very nice set ! Do you develop b/w yourself or  have it done by lab ?

Mallik

Quote from: thereisnobeginning on December 16, 2021, 04:59:08 PM
Lovely shots. TFS.
Apart from the obvious difference in field of view, there seems to be a larger amount of grain in the images taken using film. Is this an artifact of processing/scanning the film? Also was wondering how would the digital images compare to the film if they were also converted to monochrome. Just curious.

Thank you :). The film I used was expired one ( stored in fridge) and the development(chemistry used) also affects how grainy the results are. as such it is ISO 400 film which is expected to have some grain. Mix it with my noob knowledge in developing film, and you get this results  ;D.

I will try converting the digital files to B&W, for sure the digital images will look clean and much sharper :) but I don't think it will have the same tonal range of film.
Cheers,
Mallik

Mallik

Quote from: ISO on December 16, 2021, 07:26:43 PM
Huge dynamic range of film. Love it.

TFS

Thanks Mukund, Yes, it pleasing to see all shades of grey:).
Cheers,
Mallik

Mallik

Quote from: hvyas on December 16, 2021, 07:37:14 PM
Very nice set ! Do you develop b/w yourself or  have it done by lab ?

Thanks Vyas Ji, Developed at home and scanned using DSLR. I a very new to film development process and these are my baby steps :)
Cheers,
Mallik

hvyas

Thanks, Mallik.  Happy to see you stepping in b/w film era. I used to  do lot of work in 35mm format- had tried Ansel's Zone System, Parry Yob's Yob System etc. Used to buy bulk film, cut short length and process film in PVC tubes -bubble development! Enjoy, best wishes  :)

Bharat Varma

I remember shooting with 50 ASA (equivalent to 50 iso) film in B/W. The level of detail captured was exquisite. And that was just 35mm.

See if you can source such slow film for your medium format camera.
Looking for a Rokinon/Samyang 135 F/2 Lens in excellent condition.

Also looking for a few Canon NB-10L Batteries.

Mallik

Quote from: Bharat Varma on December 17, 2021, 10:10:11 AM
I remember shooting with 50 ASA (equivalent to 50 iso) film in B/W. The level of detail captured was exquisite. And that was just 35mm.

See if you can source such slow film for your medium format camera.

Yes Bharat, Ilford make a 50ASA film. Will try it next time :).
Cheers,
Mallik