Budget video camera

Started by theprofessional, March 24, 2024, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theprofessional

I've been on the lookout for a budget video camera. Needs to be 10-bit, and should have decent IBIS since I need it to be portable and don't want to carry around a gimbal.

I've been looking solely for a GH5, but do you think there are any other cameras that I should consider?

Thad E Ginathom

Quote from: theprofessional on March 24, 2024, 01:47:39 PM... should have decent IBIS since I need it to be portable and don't want to carry around a gimbal.

I don't do video, so excuse me talking from not much experience, but... I've come to understand that IBIS and gimbals deal with entirely different motion scenarios.

IBIS is  designed to help with "high frequency" movement: vibration, shaky hands etc.

Gimbal is designed to help with "low frequency" movement: the ups and downs of walking around the room or down the street.

There is another kind of stabilisation which writes gyro data with video. The video can then be post-processed to create the gimbal effect, although it involves some cropping. Being a Sony man, I've seen it demoed on youtube, but I can't remember Sony's name for it.  I guess other brands may well do the same.

theprofessional

Quote from: Thad E Ginathom on March 24, 2024, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: theprofessional on March 24, 2024, 01:47:39 PM... should have decent IBIS since I need it to be portable and don't want to carry around a gimbal.

IBIS is  designed to help with "high frequency" movement: vibration, shaky hands etc.

Gimbal is designed to help with "low frequency" movement: the ups and downs of walking around the room or down the street.

You're actually right. Though from my limited personal experience, I've found that using a gimbal might actually be able to reduce some of those micro-jitters and shakes that IBIS helps avoid. And in some newer models, IBIS helps mitigate some of the `low frequency` movement that you talked about to a certain extent as well. It will obviously not perform as well as a gimbal does but it still produces some very usable footage. For my use-case, since I'm looking for a daily carry, and since I plan on using vintage lenses with no OIS, a body with IBIS would come in very handy.

Nishit Dave

Kasey from Camera Conspiracies has been doing exactly this research since the last five years or so. You can go through his Youtube videos to see what might be suitable to you.