News:

If you are a new member and unable to activate your account , email info@jjmehta.com

Main Menu

Moving from a Sony A9 + 200-600mm to a MFT for birding, thoughts?

Started by alphahead, April 02, 2024, 07:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alphahead

Basically I am looking for
1) To haul lesser weight --> highest priority.
2) Get AF that is at least as good as the A9 -- shots of fast moving birds in bushes and trees amidst branches.
3) More reach: the system I am thinking is the OM1 + Leica 100-400 which would give me 800mm as opposed to 600mm with the Sony.
4) Better interface, and more fun, doing photography.

#4 hasn't happened within the Sony life I have been living, mostly due to camera weight (I have back issues). And I have not gotten that much into photography or upped my skills in the past 6-8 yrs of clicking.

My next best option is to move to Sony 100-400 lens but that's really too limited of a focal range for bird photography.

What do you guys think, is MFT the way to go?

Currently eyeing the Leica 100-400 and OM-1 mk2 body combo.

Nishit Dave

You could consider the A7cii or the a6700 for a lighter set up than the a9. The a6700 would give you the power of the AI chip as well as the reach of APS-C with better noise performance than MFT sensors.

On the other hand, if you want all the bells and whistles for bird photography like pre-capture, the OM-1 Mii would be unbeatable.

Mike Lane FRPS on YouTube has excellent videos comparing the a1 and the OM-1. He now uses the latter along with a Panasonic G9 Mii.

DeepakS

I hope you have familiarised yourself with the systems and found out the pros and cons involved.
From what I hear the OM 1- Mk2 is not much of an improvement over the Mk-1, and that the new name is prompted by the Olympus licensing having ended. That may indicate where the OM cameras are headed in terms of future improvements, and whether those will fulfil your bird photography aims.

At least one reviewer has stated
"Although the current OM-1 is very good, it still can't equal what I've seen from my Sony A9 (First Edition) and the Sony 100-400mm lens". See that review here

With an MFT sensor, You will get better reach but more noise, especially in low light. More post-processing skills and tools will be needed.

I agree with the suggestion made above : the A6700 with the 100-400 is a good combo if the 200-600 is too heavy.

akbrahma

I recommend trying out the A6700 with the lens to see if the ergonomics works for you. While I didn't find the ergonomics and handling, my friend who uses it had no such issues.

siva-kumar

I was also in the same situation. I have A7iv and 200-600. Found myself struggling to carry the weight. I have the G9+100-400 for lightweight trips. Enjoy shooting with this combo. But, many times if the light isn't good, G9 image quality suffers. So I got myself A6700 and Tamron 150-500 giving this combo a 600g (about) lighter. So far no complaints. Though I wish Tamron was even lighter.

alphahead

Quote from: DeepakS on April 03, 2024, 04:09:21 PMI hope you have familiarised yourself with the systems and found out the pros and cons involved.
From what I hear the OM 1- Mk2 is not much of an improvement over the Mk-1, and that the new name is prompted by the Olympus licensing having ended. That may indicate where the OM cameras are headed in terms of future improvements, and whether those will fulfil your bird photography aims.

At least one reviewer has stated
"Although the current OM-1 is very good, it still can't equal what I've seen from my Sony A9 (First Edition) and the Sony 100-400mm lens". See that review here

With an MFT sensor, You will get better reach but more noise, especially in low light. More post-processing skills and tools will be needed.

I agree with the suggestion made above : the A6700 with the 100-400 is a good combo if the 200-600 is too heavy.

Thanks for the reference of this review, I hadn't read this before. The A6700 seems like a solid choice, but not sure how its AF compares to the A9; but I own the 100-400 lens as well, will give a9 and Sony 100-400 a shot for the next birding trip coming up to see if that works out.

alphahead

Quote from: siva-kumar on April 03, 2024, 06:36:31 PMI was also in the same situation. I have A7iv and 200-600. Found myself struggling to carry the weight. I have the G9+100-400 for lightweight trips. Enjoy shooting with this combo. But, many times if the light isn't good, G9 image quality suffers. So I got myself A6700 and Tamron 150-500 giving this combo a 600g (about) lighter. So far no complaints. Though I wish Tamron was even lighter.

Just the person I want to speak to :), which 100-400 lens do you use with the G9?

siva-kumar

Quote from: alphahead on April 03, 2024, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: siva-kumar on April 03, 2024, 06:36:31 PMI was also in the same situation. I have A7iv and 200-600. Found myself struggling to carry the weight. I have the G9+100-400 for lightweight trips. Enjoy shooting with this combo. But, many times if the light isn't good, G9 image quality suffers. So I got myself A6700 and Tamron 150-500 giving this combo a 600g (about) lighter. So far no complaints. Though I wish Tamron was even lighter.

Just the person I want to speak to :), which 100-400 lens do you use with the G9?

PL 100-400 mark 1
You can DM me and I can share my mobile if you want to talk 😀

Nishit Dave

The new Sigma 500mm f/5.6 lens is another alternative for lightweight lenses with good reach. You lose the flexibility of a zoom though.

alphahead

I thought of that, but it seems like not worth the cost or the compromise of prime.

Quote from: Nishit Dave on April 03, 2024, 08:11:17 PM

The new Sigma 500mm f/5.6 lens is another alternative for lightweight lenses with good reach. You lose the flexibility of a zoom though.