WTB: Samyang 135mm f/2 Lens (Nikon F or Canon EF Mount)

Started by starman1, August 02, 2024, 04:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starman1

Hello JJMPF,

I'm looking for a used 135mm f/2 lens from Samyang, preferably the Nikon Fx Mount version. I also don't mind acquiring a Canon EF Mount version of the same. I would need to use it with an adapter for my Z Mount camera body either way.

My first prerequisite is that it should be optically excellent (no damages or fungus inside lens elements). This is important to me because this lens will be used for very, very clean, pixel-peep level work. So, the lesser the image artefacts happening in-camera, the lesser the work I have to do in post. So preferably a lens with no dust or growth happening inside the lens elements (I'm afraid even getting it cleaned by Samyang will tarnish lens element centering and therefore add astigmatism or coma or spherical aberrations to the cleaned lens). Normally I would ignore these because they tend to be very minute anyway and do not affect day to day photography, but in my special scenario here, I am on the hunt for an optically perfect copy of this lens.

My second prerequisite is that I want to test the lens before buying it and I may need some time with it. Therefore, I am mostly looking for Bengaluru-based sellers so that I can pick up the lens myself during purchase and I can also spend some time testing it before buying it.

I do not care too much about the cosmetic condition, but a very rough used, battered lens with many cosmetic damages and disappearance of useful printed lettering/numbering information will turn me away.

Will share my contact details if anything potentially concrete works out. Otherwise, please feel free to comment here or PM me.

I understand that what I'm asking for is a tall order, which is a very good copy of the lens, but such is the nature and case of my use at this time, so I'm hoping to find a mint condition lens or not too worse off from mint. :)

P.S. I may withdraw this post or change my mind at any time if I find an alternative lens of the same or similar focal length being sold, on or off the forum.

Many thanks for any help/offers,
Udayan Pandharipande

Bharat Varma

A perfect copy of this lens is probably as close to perfection as one normally gets to see in any lens that's not priced beyond the reach of most mortals.
(I was looking for one too :) )

However, what I found was that the Canon 135 F2 L is probably an equal for this at F/4 upwards, AND also takes the Canon TCs for greater flexibility.
This was easier to get, and I did ultimately get one.

Since you're likely to be shooting on a tripod under controlled conditions, consider getting that instead if you can't locate a good copy of this.
Looking for a Rokinon/Samyang 135 F/2 Lens in excellent condition.

Also looking for a few Canon NB-10L Batteries.

starman1

I very much agree with your first statement. Very well put! :)

About the Canon 135/2, I did test it out but for my rather unreasonable necessity to not shoot slower than f/3.2, I found that the Canon lens isn't sharp in the corners and displays aberrations (noticeable enough to make a difference for my use). I think the newer or fairly recent 105mm focal length lenses are better in this regard even wide open, but they are pretty pricey. So, in terms of value, the Samyang just wins. :)

Yes, I will be shooting on a tripod under controlled conditions.

Unfortunately, the Nikon Plena 135/1.8 is so out of reach for me financially right now. The Sigma 135/1.8 on the other hand, is exceedingly rare to find and will cost good money even used, and these are justified costs because it is a stellar lens!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will give the Canon lens a second look. :)

shyju7896

Fujifilm GFX 50 S
Kipon Gf-Eos
Mitakon 65mm F1.4
Mitakon 85mm f1.2

pixelshooter

I have a Samyang 135MM T2.2 VDSLR for Canon for sale in Bangalore. Please DM.