News:

If you are a new member and unable to activate your account , email info@jjmehta.com

Main Menu

The waterscape! Not a bad place to wake up in!

Started by M35, April 02, 2022, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepakS

Lovely image. Peaceful and calm.
Unfortunately it also has quite lot of wide-angle distortion. The handrails are warped on both sides of the image. If you look through the left-most railing the tree stumps also appear to be leaning left.  This is quite easily corrected on the phone itself if you have the app pertaining to your phone manufacturer. I would recommend you get it for future pictures.

thereisnobeginning

Nice image from a different angle.

Quote from: DeepakS on April 02, 2022, 06:22:20 PM
Unfortunately it also has quite lot of wide-angle distortion.

Yes, phone cameras are ultra wide angle in most of the models available these days, and introduce extreme distortion at the periphery of the frame. Can be corrected, though.
Regards,
thereisnobeginning

M35

Lovely image. Peaceful and calm.
Unfortunately it also has quite lot of wide-angle distortion. The handrails are warped on both sides of the image. If you look through the left-most railing the tree stumps also appear to be leaning left.  This is quite easily corrected on the phone itself if you have the app pertaining to your phone manufacturer. I would recommend you get it for future pictures.

Appreciate the patience for writing in. I am aware of the distortion, but prefer it as it is for the composition.

M35

Quote from: thereisnobeginning on April 02, 2022, 06:29:38 PM
Nice image from a different angle.

Yes, phone cameras are ultra wide angle in most of the models available these days, and introduce extreme distortion at the periphery of the frame. Can be corrected, though.

Corrected manually the vertical distortion (for those technical eyes  :)) using Lightroom. The distortion can be managed in the composition itself to some extent as the PP job might trim the image. Needed an 'open' feel to the image with all the different elements in it, hence left untouched.

ISO

When you are shooting with wide angle, as long as main subject remains undistorted, it is OK.

DeepakS

Quote from: M35 on April 02, 2022, 06:32:27 PM

Appreciate the patience for writing in. I am aware of the distortion, but prefer it as it is for the composition.

Quote from: M35 on April 02, 2022, 07:22:27 PM
Corrected manually the vertical distortion (for those technical eyes  using Lightroom. The distortion can be managed in the composition itself to some extent as the PP job might trim the image. Needed an 'open' feel to the image with all the different elements in it, hence left untouched.

Nothing wrong that. If that is how you wanted it - so be it. A matter of taste. A mention upfront would have totally cleared that up and I would not comment upon it in the first instance. But, it wasn't . . . and I felt a certain visual discomfort - hence pointed it out. No offence was intended

Quote from: ISO on April 02, 2022, 08:37:50 PM

When you are shooting with wide angle, as long as main subject remains undistorted, it is OK.

"In your opinion" - guess you forgot to add that bit. 

M35

Nothing wrong that. If that is how you wanted it - so be it. A matter of taste. A mention upfront would have totally cleared that up and I would not comment upon it in the first instance. But, it wasn't . . . and I felt a certain visual discomfort - hence pointed it out. No offence was intended

Nah! No offence taken. After all, it's all subjective!

To me, it's the composition, story, and lighting the deal breaker. A badly composed (again subjective!) image goes into the bin instantly!
You will get more about my taste and photography here: https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=80408