Feedback - FROWNS

Started by Hankosaurus, December 17, 2010, 08:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If I were to buy something expensive :

1. I will buy from people of proven standing - Else
2. Personally inspect before buying
3. Have a friend inspect before buying
4. Do the deal face to face (my face or friends face).

I will never risk "long distance" buying from all and sundry. Never.

VivekK

Quote from: Image on September 14, 2013, 02:27:25 AM

So true..... feel your pain Ramstrong  :'(

Pixphatic

A very unfortunate and sad incident indeed.
+1 with IMAGE......as a seller and of course as a buyer let other inspect my item and inspect sellers' goods for sale, either by me or through a friend ....always.
'Trust' is good....but in some cases....a distant dream!!!!  :( ???
Owner of some metals,multi-coated glasses & high quality plastics.......all for sake of clicking!!!

maraque

True, but hard to implement always. Sometimes you have to go on faith, which may not be reciprocated.

VikramF

Quote from: maraque on September 14, 2013, 10:52:07 AM

True, but hard to implement always. Sometimes you have to go on faith, which may not be reciprocated.

Not really. You just need to be able to let a 'good deal' go by. That takes unholy strength  :P .

Otherwise it's a leap of faith to buy something unseen from someone who has no 'standing'.

Even then, it's quite possible that the person selling isn't aware of an issue because they might know how/what to check - I've seen a lot of folks who can't spot fungus for example. I've also seen folks who think a tiny spot of dust is fungus that will ruin a lens ....

I personally believe the fool proof method is #2. Though I've gone by #1 a number of times too.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Which part is so hard to implement ?

maraque

Quote from: Image on September 14, 2013, 05:56:16 PM

Which part is so hard to implement ?

Okay, wrong choice of wording.

What I meant was, it's not always possible to meet the buyer face-to-face, hence you cannot check the item personally, since a lot of deals carried out here are inter-city deals.

Plus, the seller might be from a place where you might not happen to have friends to check it out.

For point #1 we have the GRINS section. But then some good deals might happen with members who are not mentioned there. And taking that leap of faith by some of us is what gets them mentioned there in the first place.

kumarrishi

Trust is expensive don't expect it from cheap people - Warren Buffet

I faced this music 2-3 times, seller sending a bad item or not clearly telling me the status - lesson learnt. But faced this after face to face interaction also once. I went, checked the lens and paid after few days... by the time seller got some dirty works on the lens and ultimately while picking i trusted him and didn't check lens properly as i have checked few days back- finally landed with a bummer and seller stopped picking calls.

So through check while picking is a must, a tell tale sign of lens opening are scratch or marks near the outer rim ( there are two holes there to open lens front element). Same with rear element if the screws have scratch marks on them or on barrel means its opened.

Rishi Kumar- 09871983240
Digital Kit- Canon 7 D and some lenses, Film: Multi camera - multi format. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/kumarrishi/

Looking for Minolta/FD/Konica lenses for some experiment

QuoteOkay, wrong choice of wording. What I meant was, it's not always possible to meet the buyer face-to-face, hence you cannot check the item personally, since a lot of deals carried out here are inter-city deals.

I understood your intent.

QuotePlus, the seller might be from a place where you might not happen to have friends to check it out.

If I am buying an expensive lens (expensive is relative) for a good value, it might be worth travelling, if possible. Else, I will not buy. Its as simple as that. My life is already complicated. No need to add more head aches to the many I already have.

QuoteFor point #1 we have the GRINS section. But then some good deals might happen with members who are not mentioned there. And taking that leap of faith by some of us is what gets them mentioned there in the first place.

Yes. That is what I meant by people of repute. I will also make independent enquiries where possible.

If you went ahead because the deal was irresistible, and then got punched in the face, you should use your own shoulder to cry  ;).

There is a saying in Kannada (and may be in many other languages) : ಕಣ್ಣಾರೆ ಕಂಡರೂ ಪರಾಂಬರಿಸಿ ನೋಡು ---> Even if you see with your own eyes, you should verify properly.

Ramstrong

Quote from: kumarrishi on September 14, 2013, 06:28:04 PM
Trust is expensive don't expect it from cheap people - Warren Buffet

I faced this music 2-3 times, seller sending a bad item or not clearly telling me the status - lesson learnt. But faced this after face to face interaction also once. I went, checked the lens and paid after few days... by the time seller got some dirty works on the lens and ultimately while picking i trusted him and didn't check lens properly as i have checked few days back- finally landed with a bummer and seller stopped picking calls.

So through check while picking is a must, a tell tale sign of lens opening are scratch or marks near the outer rim ( there are two holes there to open lens front element). Same with rear element if the screws have scratch marks on them or on barrel means its opened.

+1.  :(
Nikon D810+D700+D7K+MB-D10+D11+18-105mmDX+18-35mm F3.5-4.5G+35mm DX F1.8G+50mm F1.8G+24mm F2.8D+50mm F1.8D+85mm F1.4D+85mm F1.8D+80-200mmm F2.8D+135mm F2D DC+300mm F4D+20mm F3.5 UD+Ai-S 28mm F2.8+Auto-S 35mm F2.8+Ai-S 50mm F1.2+Ai-S 50mm F1.4+Auto-S 50mm F1.4+Ai-S 50mm F1.8+Ai-S 135mm F2+Ai 135mm F3.5+Ai 200mm F4+Ai-S 300mm F4.5+Sigma Ex 14mm F2.8+Helios81N 50mm F2+Kenko DGX Pro 300 1.4x TC+Sekonic L758DR+Vanguard 263AT tripod +GH100 Ball Head+Nikon SB400+SB600+SB800+YongNuo YN560II+YN560 flashes.

Canon EOS 5D MkII+EOS650D+EF-S 18-55mm+EF 24-105mm F4L+EF 40mm F2.8 STM+EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro+Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 VC+Fujinon 50mm F2.8 MF Lens+Nissin Di 866 Mk2 Pro1 Flash+YN 603C triggers.