News:

JJMehta on X - x.com/jjmehta

Main Menu

Serendipity

Started by Nishit Dave, November 20, 2023, 12:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nishit Dave

We decided to stay at a resort on the outskirts of Udaipur for our Diwali vacation this year. I had been told that the place has a lot of birds, and so I would like it a lot.

Shortly after our arrival, I heard a Brown-headed Barbet calling. I had ever been able to get one clear photo of this arboreal ave, so I really wanted to photograph it. So I spent some time looking for it on the twisting paths of the resort, and even got pretty close to it on a low branch, but in bad light and facing away from me.

Then suddenly that evening, it was calling from right outside the window of my room! I took a number of shots through the glass, but they were grainy and soft as expected. I could get within the minimum focus distance of my lens, but the bird couldn't see me because of the glass. There was one openable window but the birds spotted me as I went there and fled. That was more disappointing than messing up the change I had earlier.

However, I soon discovered that this was one of the favourite perches of this particular bird, and it came back twice or thrice a day to call from there. The next time it came, I was prepared, positioned in advance behind the window and its mosquito screen opened just enough to give me a clear view.

I got photos to my heart's content, and here are a couple of them:

Brown-headed Barbet by Nishit Dave, on Flickr

Brown-headed Barbet by Nishit Dave, on Flickr

As always, full size photos can be viewed on my Flickr account. EXIF data is included for the curious.

GIRISH22

hvyas

Very nice captures !  Also well narratted struggle of bird photography  :)

Nishit Dave

Thanks Mr. Girish and Mr. Vyas, glad you liked it.

Thad E Ginathom

Serendipity indeed! Beautiful pics.

Nishit Dave

Quote from: Thad E Ginathom on November 20, 2023, 08:02:59 PM
Serendipity indeed! Beautiful pics.

Thanks a lot, Thad! Sometimes everything just falls in place.

ashutosh1979

Nice capture,wish more members shared stories/ insights/ chalsnges etc along with there photos.

Nishit Dave

Quote from: ashutosh1979 on November 20, 2023, 09:32:07 PM
Nice capture,wish more members shared stories/ insights/ chalsnges etc along with there photos.

Thanks Ashutosh, yes it would be good to read some of the stories behind the pictures. While this is more of DPReview / Team-BHP style, I for one would welcome it.

Prabir

Leica SL2s, Elmarit 24-70 f2.8,Sony Alpha CR2, 35mmf1.4G, Sigma n12-24, Tamron 35-150 f2-2.8,.
Canon Stable - EOS-M5, 50mmf/1.4, Helios 58/2 M42
And a lot of friends.
Watch me at http://www.pbase.com/prabir2011
Watch me also at https://www.flickr.com/photos/pkbhat_20032003/

Hankosaurus

Congratulations!  Your analysis and patience paid off well.  Glad you are having so much fun making bird images.

Happy Day
HENRY
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say those of us who love to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.