Posting Rules for the Galleries section - Please read before posting

Started by Ashim, February 03, 2014, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashim

For smoother/easier viewing of images and thereby facilitating better quality of comments/feedback, we have decided to implement the following guidelines for posting images in this section.

• A maximum of 5 images are permissible per post.
  • Images should be at most 1024px on the longest side.
  • Each image shouldn't be more than 250kb in size.

Posts not adhering to the above are liable to be deleted by the moderators with or without warning to the poster.

Hot Shoe

Quote from: Ashim on February 03, 2014, 12:16:35 PM
A maximum of 5 images are permissible per post.

Makes a lot of sense. I assume such rules have to be made public now and then so as to not be hit by an 'avalanche' ....... like a very recent one !

manoj

Just to clarify point #1, is 5 images per 'post' intended to mean 5 images per 'thread'('topic')?
If it is 'post', can someone upload 10 images in 2 posts?
Also, there was a point where images could be uploaded once the thread moves to another page, thus meeting the purpose of reducing a thread's bandwidth? is that ok?

Edit: To add one more query... Can we add more photos to the same thread? Here is the reasoning for this...
1. It helps to collate photos of a similar theme in place. Comments/Feedback can also be under one roof for those photos, which will help others to learn as well.
2. It is also a good idea, if more than one member adds to the theme (For eg: The We love our MF lenses" thread. This totally works on members coming together under one theme.
3. Easier to keep track of. I know there is a search, but this is easier.

thanks for clarifying. :)
Monisha, post-processing kaho na. "Photoshop kiya hai kya" is just so down market.

ISO

Quote from: Hot Shoe on February 03, 2014, 03:58:22 PM

Makes a lot of sense. I assume such rules have to be made public now and then so as to not be hit by an 'avalanche' ....... like a very recent one !

Hello Vinod

I have slight diff opinion.

It should be guideline and not rule :)

IMHO it should not make difference esp. if the images hosted outside the forum.

Also survival of the fittest rule always apply. Good photo always attract more response.

manoj

Quote from: ISO on February 06, 2014, 12:09:30 AM

I'm guessing its in place to make it easier for people on dial-up for whom the page will take a long time to load.
But do we have so many on dial-up these days? I agree, though, the 'avalanche' did take time for me as well, so some guidelines should be in place.
Monisha, post-processing kaho na. "Photoshop kiya hai kya" is just so down market.

Hot Shoe

Also survival of the fittest rule always apply. Good photo always attract more response.

Fair enough Mukund.  :)  Yes, giving links to images outside the Forum will probably be the best solution in the event the OP has too many photographs to display.  I do observe at time that some members do not resize their pictures and it does take time to download. My reply was based more on a recent HUGE set of pictures posted in one go and it was time consuming both to download and to view. There were many good pictures there and unfortunately the post did not receive the due attention as many may have said 'who can view so many pics and offer comments too'. For example, Udayan did post beautiful pics of his trip to Ladakh and it got rave comments more so due to the fact they were posted in different and separate posts.

ISO

Quote from: Hot Shoe on February 06, 2014, 11:21:05 AM

Fair enough Mukund.  :)  Yes, giving links to images outside the Forum will probably be the best solution in the event the OP has too many photographs to display.  I do observe at time that some members do not resize their pictures and it does take time to download. My reply was based more on a recent HUGE set of pictures posted in one go and it was time consuming both to download and to view. There were many good pictures there and unfortunately the post did not receive the due attention as many may have said 'who can view so many pics and offer comments too'. For example, Udayan did post beautiful pics of his trip to Ladakh and it got rave comments more so due to the fact they were posted in different and separate posts.

Thanks Vinod for the prompt reply.

I had discussed this with Mr Henry and Mr Kartik.

This seems to be a clear case of SPAM or deliberate effort to disturb forum. No sane JJMF member will do this.

Such thread shd be deleted and OP shd be blocked.

Hankosaurus

Hi Guys.

The reference to post does indeed refer to the thread, not to a single post, per se.

The 97 image thread of recent days was the genesis of the action undertaken by the Mods.

Loading 97 images of such enormous size was impossible for some people. Giving any meaningful commentary or evaluation of 97 images loaded into one thread is out of the question even if they hadn't been over-sized. The newcomer may not have realized the full impact he was having in doing this.

The Mods believe that five images per thread are enough to be discussed at one time. If one has more, then he can have multiple threads, enough to cover the lot that he wants to share and offer for discussion and comment.

One compelling reason for a Rule is that if the Mods reason that the quantity and size of images constitute a disruptive or difficult situation for readers to load, see, and to comment upon, then the Mods will need to take some corrective action to achieve a state of practical compliance.  By contrast, a mere recommendation implies that it is simply a suggestion and that if violated no corrective action would be forthcoming.  That would not be a correct assumption to make.

This action is in recognition of the fact that there are cases where more images within a thread are to be expected. The contest threads for sharing entries are prime examples and are thereby exempt.  Adding an image for discussion and illustration within a thread should likewise be no problem.

The Rules have been created to serve the interests of the Membership in the best possible way.  As Members know, they are subject to refinement to enable them to serve even better.

:)
HENRY
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say those of us who love to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Ashim

Hello all,

On popular suggestions, the maximum allowable image dimensions have been changed to 1024px and 250kb respectively.

Let's have more gorgeous images shared now :)

pixelshooter

Are we still implementing rule #1?

QuoteA maximum of 5 images are permissible per post