Mysore Palace (PS white balanced image added)

Started by ISO, December 27, 2021, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krish Chandran

In mixed lighting (and this mostly happens at venues not lit for photography, like offices, shopping malls and sometimes monuments) - say a mix of Tungsten, Fluorescent and daylight lighting - the odd one out is Fluorescent because of its blue-green cast.

If you have the time and some control over the venue - gel the fluorescent so you get warm-ish tones which gets you close to Tungsten. Now, you're able to effectively use your gray card or adjust later in post.
Control the angles of your shots so you can ensure the most favourable light is what you get.

If you have no control - and you have to manage with what you get
Mask areas and selectively post-process their colours. Orange cast by Tungsten and Blue-Green by Flourescent lights. Watch the skin tones. Check by trial and error what is the dominant cast on the skin to correct so it doesn't appear "off"
Convert to B &W is a last option if you've thrown up your hands and given up   ;D

In either case : Set WB for your main subject

If you get the Wb in the region of "somewhat correct' even coloured lights (as in stage lights- not lighting in rooms or offices) will appear they way they are meant to.
"The more you learn, the more there is still left to learn"
Andy Mumford

https://flickr.com/photos/195860685@N07/
https://youtube.com/@krishchandran4125?si=5BIxPdEyRL4Nj3BI

Hankosaurus

Quote from: Krish Chandran on January 01, 2022, 10:29:54 PM
In mixed lighting (and this mostly happens at venues not lit for photography, like offices, shopping malls and sometimes monuments) - say a mix of Tungsten, Fluorescent and daylight lighting - the odd one out is Fluorescent because of its blue-green cast.

If you have the time and some control over the venue - gel the fluorescent so you get warm-ish tones which gets you close to Tungsten. Now, you're able to effectively use your gray card or adjust later in post.
Control the angles of your shots so you can ensure the most favourable light is what you get.

Hi Krish.

Back in the 70s I shot transparency film called Ektachrome in an office environment with flourescent tubes in the ceiling.  There was definitely a strong greenish cast which ruined skin tones and much more.   I corrected for this with a Kodak gelatin filter.  Nikon made a gel holder for that.  To the best of my recollection, it took about 40 points of magenta or red to bring the skin tones close to believable, and useable for printing or projection.  :)
HENRY
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say those of us who love to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Thad E Ginathom

Convert to B &W is a last option if you've thrown up your hands and given up   ;D
two or three years ago, when I was freshly returned to "real camera" photography, I photographed once concert where the orange skin tone of the vocalist drove me to this.

I've noticed that no two skins are the same. The complexions may look similar to the  eye, but they photograph differently!

This particular young woman is not only one of my favourites, but, to me, one of the most beautiful on the carnatic stage. I felt so bad about taking such awful pics! Her skin is really, really sensitive to the different lights. I was less experienced with post-processing; not even sure that GIMP had a colour-temperature adjustment back then, it is a recent addition. I converted to B&W. But... even that, it seems, is an art. There is no simple "make a good B&W pic from this" button.

I'm still listening to her, and photographing her. And some pics come out good, some not so good. But one thing I've meant to do, and will get around to one day, is... get an outdoor, daylight pic of her. Because I'd like to get her skin colour right, not just reasonable, and she herself is never going to be standing by my monitor when I'm editing! Not a perfect answer, but better.

Bharat Varma

Here you go. Be sure to take her permission beforehand. :)

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1463764394006003715?s=20

Quote from: Thad E Ginathom on January 03, 2022, 05:20:28 PM
two or three years ago, when I was freshly returned to "real camera" photography, I photographed once concert where the orange skin tone of the vocalist drove me to this.

I've noticed that no two skins are the same. The complexions may look similar to the  eye, but they photograph differently!

This particular young woman is not only one of my favourites, but, to me, one of the most beautiful on the carnatic stage. I felt so bad about taking such awful pics! Her skin is really, really sensitive to the different lights. I was less experienced with post-processing; not even sure that GIMP had a colour-temperature adjustment back then, it is a recent addition. I converted to B&W. But... even that, it seems, is an art. There is no simple "make a good B&W pic from this" button.

I'm still listening to her, and photographing her. And some pics come out good, some not so good. But one thing I've meant to do, and will get around to one day, is... get an outdoor, daylight pic of her. Because I'd like to get her skin colour right, not just reasonable, and she herself is never going to be standing by my monitor when I'm editing! Not a perfect answer, but better.
Looking for a Rokinon/Samyang 135 F/2 Lens in excellent condition.

Also looking for a few Canon NB-10L Batteries.

Thad E Ginathom

Quote from: Bharat Varma on January 03, 2022, 06:21:39 PM
Here you go. Be sure to take her permission beforehand. :)
LOL... I'm sure her husband doesn't mind me mentioning her beauty, but a request for a complete colour scan might be frowned on!  ;D  ;D

Can it really be that this is not a complete joke? Following the link, it actually seems to be a real product! But it looks more interior-decorating than colour-accurate graphic tool.

Bharat Varma

It's exactly how a professional color calibrator works with your monitor to profile it. How accurately this one is calibrated could be a question, but I've no doubt that this is conceptually quite workable.
Looking for a Rokinon/Samyang 135 F/2 Lens in excellent condition.

Also looking for a few Canon NB-10L Batteries.

Krish Chandran

Quote from: Bharat Varma on January 03, 2022, 06:21:39 PM
Here you go... . .
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1463764394006003715?s=20

Quote from: Thad E Ginathom on January 03, 2022, 08:00:29 PM
. . . . Following the link, it actually seems to be a real product! But it looks more interior-decorating than colour-accurate graphic tool.

It's quite amazing. But I wonder how we could actually use it in day-to-day photography

Andy Mumford

Krish Chandran

Quote from: Hankosaurus on January 03, 2022, 02:38:20 AM
Hi Krish.

Back in the 70s I shot transparency film called Ektachrome in an office environment with flourescent tubes in the ceiling.  There was definitely a strong greenish cast which ruined skin tones and much more.   I corrected for this with a Kodak gelatin filter.  Nikon made a gel holder for that.  To the best of my recollection, it took about 40 points of magenta or red to bring the skin tones close to believable, and useable for printing or projection.  :)

You had to get it right the first time - the cost and opportunity for retakes would be unavailable in most cases. Different times. Needed a lot more forethought and preparation. 
Andy Mumford

ISO

Quote from: Thad E Ginathom on January 03, 2022, 05:20:28 PM

You made me damn curious. Would you mind sharing name? I listen lot of classical also. Let me guess is she Kaushiki Chakraborty ?

Thad E Ginathom

Quote from: ISO on January 04, 2022, 04:51:58 PMYou made damn curious. Would you mind sharing name? I listen lot of classical also. Let me guess is she Kaushiki Chakraborty ?

Oh yes, she's lovely too! And what a voice! But wrong end of the country. The young lady I'm thinking of is a carnatic vocalist, Brinda Manickavasagam