Flicker , Instagram, 500px, facebook positn poics online

Started by ashutosh1979, September 05, 2024, 06:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashutosh1979

Hi everyone, need some advice on posting pics online. I had at some time started posting on Instagram and Flicker and made a Facebook page also. Then stopped. I am not really a social media person.
Now I want to share my pics again but can't decide which platform will suit me best.
I don't want to promote it like an influencer. Just want to share pics with likeminded people get feedback and preferably connect with hobbyist photographers in Delhi NCR.

I think genuine feedback and engagement would be number one requirement.
One handicap could be that, I'm not much good with social media skills and frankly at this point I'm not keen on building the same.
Any ideas even beyond which platform to choose will be most welcome
Thanks in advance

Bharat Varma

Avoid Facebook and Instagram at all costs.

1. Images are atrociously degraded on FB (and presumably on Instagram too, but can't confirm that as I have avoided that platform vehemently. Even to see more than a few images, you need to create an account there).

2. Severe Privacy issues with both platforms.

Flickr works very well indeed.
Excellent image display quality, lots of permissions that can be set, and there is absolutely no restriction or account requirement for others to view the images.
The free Flickr account is quite adequate for most people.

500px seems to be similar in quality of display and freedom of access at least, although not too familiar with that platform otherwise.
Looking for a Rokinon/Samyang 135 F/2 Lens in excellent condition.

Also looking for a few Canon NB-10L Batteries.

ashutosh1979

Thanks a lot Bharat.
You have advised to avoid FB and Insta based on 1 parameter that is quality, makes sense.
Regarding Insta, account creation for viewing is an issue, but is it an issue? with almost everyone having an Insta account?

From the point of view of getting interaction from the community ( and here I'm pretty sure it is the photography community I'm interested in, not random "followers" per se) what works ? Can you share your thoughts

Thanks in Advance

Krish Chandran

Quote from: ashutosh1979 on September 05, 2024, 06:55:01 PMI don't want to promote it like an influencer. Just want to share pics with likeminded people get feedback and preferably connect with hobbyist photographers in Delhi NCR.

I think you should look for local WhatsApp groups where you can share and receive feedback. Every place has it.
There are birding, safari, landscape, street and so on genre-specific groups where not just photographs but, information about locations, routes, conditions, guides etc are shared. Group members interact and make plans to go on shoots together. Small tight-knit communities.
Instagram, Facebook Flickr or 500px will have a broader engagement, but are basically photo-centric, and may not just be limited to Delhi NCR
"The more you learn, the more there is still left to learn"
Andy Mumford

https://flickr.com/photos/195860685@N07/
https://youtube.com/@krishchandran4125?si=5BIxPdEyRL4Nj3BI

ashutosh1979

Thanks a lot for the advise Krish, will definitely try to find some whatsapp groups.

Nishit Dave

One area where Flickr is far superior to Instagram on mobile devices (as of September 2024) is that on the former, when you pinch to zoom and take your fingers off, the zoom is maintained instead of reverting to the tiny two inch thumbnail. You can pan around the image with one finger.

Double tapping also doesn't lead to 'likes' (except in grouped views). Instagram behaves atrociously in these cases, because it is not meant for photography enthusiasts any longer.

Thad E Ginathom

Looking seriously at photographs on a fraction of a tiny screen is just a joke.

I just use endless scrolling of instagram for zombie time.

Well, ok... slight exaggeration. I do see interesting, nice, funny, etc things there. But I still feel that it is a trap and a mind killer.