Landcape photography and fishing

Started by manoj, February 22, 2024, 09:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manoj

Quite a few similarities in both activities...
Just like in fishing where you need to locate a spot, unpack and setup your gear, cast your line and wait, photography also involves all those steps. A proper composition, the right time of day, a drive or a hike to the location, unpacking and setting up the gear and then wait for the right light to get the shot. (slightly longer caption in the photo description on flickr)

Is fishing like landscape photography?

Guy time out

Immersed in solitude.
Monisha, post-processing kaho na. "Photoshop kiya hai kya" is just so down market.

hvyas

Very nice set ! Liked the first one the most for its colours and compo !

ashutosh1979

Hi, 1st one is certainly the best of the lot, perfect composition. Really liked 2nd one for technical aspects like processing etc., scenic beauty and angle etc are very appealing but it's 2nd in terms of composition against ur 1st pic which is a classic. BTW I assume it's yourself as the human element. If I may I would say IMHO, last one doesn't live upto the potential of ur 1st two. The scenic beauty and framing are perfect but the human element doesn't do justice to the composition when compared to ur 1st pic. May be ur 1st 1 is so good it's way way ahead of others, to make them look not so good perhaps.

Abhijit Rao

#1 is super. I love the tones and the serenity it conveys. #2 seems a tad too contrasty (or overprocessed to me).
50mm

manoj

Quote from: hvyas on February 25, 2024, 08:41:21 AMVery nice set ! Liked the first one the most for its colours and compo !
Thank you, hvyas. I like #1 too. :)

Quote from: Abhijit Rao on February 28, 2024, 04:21:39 PM#1 is super. I love the tones and the serenity it conveys. #2 seems a tad too contrasty (or overprocessed to me).
Thank you Abhijit. #1 was a nice moment for me too. #2 was taken very late in the day and was a tricky mix of long exposure to blur the water but quick enough to stop the man from moving. I didn't open up the shadows to much. I'm sure it can be opened up with better processing. :)
Monisha, post-processing kaho na. "Photoshop kiya hai kya" is just so down market.

manoj

Quote from: ashutosh1979 on February 26, 2024, 09:39:50 PMHi, 1st one is certainly the best of the lot, perfect composition. Really liked 2nd one for technical aspects like processing etc., scenic beauty and angle etc are very appealing but it's 2nd in terms of composition against ur 1st pic which is a classic. BTW I assume it's yourself as the human element. If I may I would say IMHO, last one doesn't live upto the potential of ur 1st two. The scenic beauty and framing are perfect but the human element doesn't do justice to the composition when compared to ur 1st pic. May be ur 1st 1 is so good it's way way ahead of others, to make them look not so good perhaps.

Thank you, Ashutosh. Very valid feedback. It's not me in all the frames. I just happened upon them by chance.
Yes, #3 was a pure documentary shot without much time. Before I could frame better, he was moving all over the place. :)

ashutosh1979

Quote from: Abhijit Rao on February 28, 2024, 04:21:39 PM1 is super. I love the tones and the serenity it conveys. #2 seems a tad too contrasty (or overprocessed to me).

Hi I would beg to differ from you in this regard. I totally agree that this pic is extra contrasty and a bit unnatural. IMHO in this case it adds to the image, the 2 things that caught my attention were the decision of long exposure for motion blur and the high dynamic range and contrast of the image where everything was visible in its own right. So normally one would expect to draw attention to a particular subject in preference to other elements, through various techniques.  In this case every part of the image is a subject in itself. Which has its own charm, it lets me get sense of everything going on, and make my own decision as to what is important or not, weather it is the ominous sky, flow of the river, distant trees on the other bank, the rocky near bank, the distant bridge over the waterfall or the solitary fisherman, I can choose for myself as a viewer.
On a side note some food for thought
If we were there physically we might think we are looking the whole scene, but we can physicaly look at only a tiny fraction of our vision at a time(try it), we don't realize that we scan the whole scene one fraction at time and our brain creates a panorama from those pieces. And wherever we look our eyes and brains adjust the focus/contrast and exposure just for that part of the scenery. That is the reason that dynamic range of our eyes is much more than the camera, we are always on the HDR mode be default. So our brain actually remembers the scene in somewhat the same way, this image has been processed. So in that sense it may be more natural than supposedly natural images.
I hope I haven't bored people with my tirade. But then again if you've taken time to read it all the way though, it's not because you got bored by reading it.