News:

JJMehta on Insta - ig.me/jjmehta

Main Menu

POV Camera

Started by Monster, October 07, 2024, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster

I'm looking to get a POV camera to supplement my street photography and make a BTS video with it.

The obvious choice is of action camera, which open a pandora box of comparisons between latest Gopros or DJI action Cam 5 or Insta 36 Ace pro, or just get an old Gopro as that might suffice the purpose.

Another option is to get a 360 camera like Insta360 x4 which will eliminate the need to align the horizon and framing.

Looking to hear from you guys on this topic that might help me in the decision making.

Nishit Dave

With a 360 degree camera you would be recording yourself as well, and if you crop away, it's just a waste of megapixels. It's better to mount a cheaper action cam on your hot shoe. I'm sure horizon leveling would be a trivial job.

Monster

I've tried hot shoe mounting. It's not a good idea. Firstly because you only get to see a bts when you lift up the camera and not before that and when a moment comes up to click, you first have to start the recording on gopro first  which may lead to miss the moment

DeepakS

Quote from: Monster on October 07, 2024, 11:16:29 AMI'm looking to get a POV camera to supplement my street photography and make a BTS video with it.

The obvious choice is of action camera, which open a pandora box of comparisons between latest Gopros or DJI action Cam 5 or Insta 36 Ace pro, or just get an old Gopro as that might suffice the purpose.

Another option is to get a 360 camera like Insta360 x4 which will eliminate the need to align the horizon and framing.

Looking to hear from you guys on this topic that might help me in the decision making.

When you say "make a BTS video" did you mean a video of the still photo being taken - that it pointing towards the target subject Or did you mean a video of you (the person) taking the still shot - as in "watch me in take the shot you are about so see" sort of thing?

Nishit Dave

I guess if the photographer is supposed to be in the shot, then a 360 degree camera on an 'invisible' stick makes sense. However it makes the photographer even more conspicuous in street photography.

Monster

Quote from: DeepakS on October 09, 2024, 11:00:55 AM
Quote from: Monster on October 07, 2024, 11:16:29 AMI'm looking to get a POV camera to supplement my street photography and make a BTS video with it.

When you say "make a BTS video" did you mean a video of the still photo being taken - that it pointing towards the target subject Or did you mean a video of you (the person) taking the still shot - as in "watch me in take the shot you are about so see" sort of thing?

Primarily the subject matter to be shot. Not a great fan of myself :D

Nishit Dave

Well, I guess you can use the loop recording mode and start a new loop after each 'recordable' moment.

Monster

Quote from: Nishit Dave on October 09, 2024, 06:00:42 PMWell, I guess you can use the loop recording mode and start a new loop after each 'recordable' moment.

What do you meant by that?

Nishit Dave

These action cameras can record clips in a loop - the file of predefined duration gets overwritten continuously. So you can start a loop clip while you're looking for a photo opportunity, and then once you take a photo, you end that recording and start a new one.

In this way, you will have a BTS clip for each photo you take without having to waste time with starting a recording when the opportunity arises.

Monster

So the clips which is 'Stopped' , get finally onto the SD card and others are discarded ?